Thursday, September 24, 2009

SPC Mailbag - September Edition

We've spent the day looking at some new game trailers for games coming down the pipeline, but it's been too long since we've visited the SPC Mailbag. Let's open this baby up and answer some questions sent via e-mail. In this edition, we're discussing how I review games, favorite Nintendo franchises, and gaming pet peeves.

How far in a game do you get before you review it?

This is a great question, and it really depends on the game. For most games I try to play until I see the ending. For things like multi-player and games without endings, I usually try to see and experience as much as the game has to offer. Even when I'm ready to write a review, I may continue playing the game more to get a better opinion. So in short and to reiterate, it depends on the game and genre.

What is your favorite Nintendo franchise?

It'd most likely be a toss-up between traditional Mario platformers and The Legend of Zelda. I'm a sucker for great platformers, and I love the design behind various worlds and how they're infinitely replayable. As for Zelda, I really enjoy the extreme amount of polish put into each and every entry of the franchise. From the dungeon design to the world map, Zelda is tops.

I'm particularly interested in
New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

What's the worst game you've ever reviewed?

A masochist, eh? All right. The two lowest reviewed games thus far on SuperPhillip Central are Ninjabread Man and New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis. Funnily enough, both games are listed right next to each other on my review database.

What are some of your gaming pet peeves?

In games, I absolutely abhor invisible walls. I love exploration, and when I see an intriguing-looking area that I can't explore because of an invisible wall, I get disappointed. I also dislike being unable to skip cut-scenes. I know that some are to mask loading screens, but you should be able to skip them once loading is completed. I don't like having to re-watch a cut-scene just because I died at the boss after the scene.

What difficulty do you usually play your games on?

For the first time playing through, I am usually on the normal/default difficulty. I will later play through the easy mode just to revisit the game. I generally don't care for harder difficulties. I don't like too much of a challenge in my games, so I tend to stay away from the Contras and Ninja Gaidens of the gaming world.

What game has been most disappointing so far this year?

I'm really fortunate in that the biggest disappointments I've had have been pretty minor. Marble Saga: Kororinpa's wonky physics really ruined the sequel for me, and Mario Power Tennis was just a poor effort all around where motion controls would have been perfect for the game otherwise.

Let's close 'er up. That's it for this edition of the SPC Mailbag. Hopefully next time we'll revisit it much sooner rather than much later.

No comments: