Tuesday, November 10, 2009

SPC Mailbag - November 10, 2009 Edition

After an extended, unannounced vacation, I've been stockpiling several reader questions. Sure, many wondered where the heck I was, but some of them focused on varying other topics-- some current, some not-so-current. Stay tuned later on this week as I have two new reviews planned as well as a second look at the PSP's most overlooked titles. But now let's take a gander at a few questions, shall we?

Reggie [Fils-Amie] stated in a recent interview with Gametrailers TV that he thinks New Super Mario Bros. Wii will outsell the 360 version of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. What are your thoughts?

I believe that initially Modern Warfare 2 will come out of the gate with both guns blazing. We've seen this with Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo 3, as well as MW2's predecessor, Call of Duty 4. These titles beat out the respective Nintendo games in their months of launch, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy. However, looking at the long-tail sales of these games, and the aforementioned triad of Nintendo titles beat out these front-loaded games quite handily. So to sum this long-winded explanation up, New Super Mario Bros. Wii will lose to Modern Warfare 2 in the short-term, but it will beat the game in overall sales.


Super Mario Galaxy was beaten by Call of Duty 4 in the United States. Do you think Modern Warfare 2 will beat New Super Mario Bros. Wii in the U.S.?

Don't underestimate the power of a 2-D Mario. 3-D and 2-D Marios are two entirely different beasts. 2-D is far more accessible for most players. My mom couldn't do anything in Super Mario 64 besides run around in a constant circle. That isn't to say she's stupid. That isn't to say she's dumb. That is to say that there's a higher learning curve playing a 3-D game than one in 2-D with only left, right, up, and down to go. Super Mario Galaxy sold around 10 million units in the U.S. New Super Mario Bros. on the DS has sold approximately double that at 20 million. Perhaps being on a portable system helped, perhaps not. We'll find out next month when NPD time rolls around.


What is your favorite genre of game? Least favorite?

Most probably my favorite genre is the platformer! I can't decide whether I prefer 2-D or 3-D though... such a tough decision. I'll get back to you on that one! As for least favorite, I don't really care for MMORPGs, traditional fighters, or real-time strategy games. I just can't get into many of them unfortunately.

You seem to defend the Wii a lot. Almost to the point that I'd call you a fanboy. Is there anything you don't like about the console?

1) Please do not use the word fanboy. That's honestly an insult I'd expect to hear on an elementary school playground, 2) The Wii definitely isn't given a fair shake by most message board gamers and the media. That is blatantly obvious, and 3) I don't like having to use the Wii remote to select to play a Gamecube game when I have to use the Gamecube controller afterward anyway, I don't like the online set-up-- I wish it was more streamlined, I wish there were demos of Virtual Console and Wiiware games, speaking of VC games, I wish Nintendo would put out a steady stream of quality titles in their massive backlog, I wish Nintendo would help market third party titles when third parties can't be bothered (which is usually always), and that should do it for now. Now you should ask me why I don't play the 360 that often. That would be a long post!

Are you planning on doing another award show for game of the year and all of that?

As a matter of fact, yes, I am. I'll recap the winners and runners-up from last year's big event as well as showcase new awards along with the oldies but goodies. Stay tuned for another fun awards show!

===

Signed, sealed, delivered, the SPC Mailbag is being closed shut once again! Hope those who wanted their e-mails, comments on Youtube, CAG, and elsewhere answered are satisfied. Until next time, faithful readers!

No comments: