Thursday, January 13, 2011

Top Ten Most Wanted Games of 2011

2011. It's supposedly a big year for gaming, they say. But then again that's what the media says about every year. It's, like, we get it. Every year is a big game for gaming. More overrated trash like Gears of War and Killzone (sorry if my opinion hurts your feelings). Awesome. Regardless, on this Thursday I am listing my top ten most anticipated games of the year. It's definitely going to be a good year for gaming even if that's what we say every year.

10) Mario Sports Mix (Wii)


I love Mario's sport outings, and this time it's not just one sport-- it's four. You have your dodgeball, basketball, volleyball, and hockey. Throw in some memorable Mushroom Kingdom characters as well as job classes from the Final Fantasy series, and you have a colorful cast of characters to play with. With the addition of online play, you can bet I'll be online getting owned like the newbie I am!

9) Dead Space 2 (PS3, 360)


We go from cute and colorful to dark and macabre with Dead Space 2. I was so close to getting a platinum trophy in the original. I just couldn't stomach the Impossible difficulty all the way. A shame. Regardless, this title is one to look out for! The necromorphs are back, and this time they puke on you! Gross! Learn some manners, you undead bastards! The thrills and chills are just a couple of weeks away when Dead Space 2 hits both the 360 and PlayStation 3!

8) Portal 2 (PS3, 360)


The original Portal was a clever, innovative puzzle game full of jumping, cake, and lies. The sequel brings even more to the table with new gun upgrades, puzzle designs, and much more. I eagerly await to see what Valve puts into this game as now it's a full-priced retail game and not just a part of the best gaming value package ever (aka the Orange Box). We'll see if Portal 2 is worth the price when it comes out later this year.

7) de Blob 2 (PS3, 360, Wii)


I very much enjoyed the original Wii-exclusive, de Blob. Sure, levels could take upwards of an hour to complete fully and jumping with the Wii remote was a pain, but now those problems have been remedied! Paint the town red, blue, orange-- whatever-- in this sequel to the clever painting platformer. Now you can play it in HD with vivid visuals, Move controls, or an Xbox 360 controller. I'll probably stick with the Wii version. Gotta grow that collection, y'know!

6) Star Fox 64 3D (3DS)


I am really interested in getting a Nintendo 3DS. If Nintendo keeps making quality games, I'll be there to lap them up for sure. It's just a matter of finding the money to buy this three-dimensional beauty. Nonetheless, both games on this list for the 3DS are remakes. Star Fox 64 3D has impressive new textures, probable new voice acting, and a host of fun new twists on one of my favorite Nintendo 64 games period. I'm going to kick your ape ass all over again, Andross!

5) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)


The second remake isn't as visually intriguing as Star Fox, sadly. Hopefully we get a new dungeon or two plus some fresh side quests to keep this remake worth the cost. Still, I'm a sucker for rebuying over and over again my favorite game of all time. I haven't played Ocarina of Time in the longest time, so it'll be nice to replay this game with souped up visuals and in its 3D splendor. With the touch screen, the Water Temple will be a breeze to switch boots!

4) LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3)


In the original LittleBigPlanet, I was addicted to creating new levels, objects, and Sackboys. With the power to build games of varying genres than the platformer, I can only imagine how much of my life will be wasted playing this new title. Originally supposed to come out in the holiday season of 2010, the delay sure seems worth it to knock out the remaining bugs inside this immense creator package. Don't forget about the awesome premade levels included, too!

3) Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)


Nathan Drake just cannot seem to catch a break. I did not mean to rhyme and be cute either. Anyway, it seems we're taking a vacation to the desert sands of perhaps the Sahara. In a short GIF I saw, Nathan leaped from a rooftop into a window, shot baddies while partially submerged in beautiful water, and knocked out an enemy from behind. Just like the previous two Uncharted games you can bet there will be some sort of supernatural twist to bring things off-kilter.

2) Marvel VS. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (PS3, 360)


My birthday present to myself will be Marvel VS. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. When your subtitle is FTW, you know your game will be excellent. I loved Tatsunoko VS. Capcom for the Wii, and the hotly-anticipated third installment of Marvel VS. Capcom promises to bring the same ease of play that Tatsunoko had. Ease of play is important while also keeping a sense of depth for veteran players so they don't feel left out. Hulk, prepare to be my bitch.

1) The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)


Hopefully the newest installment of the Zelda series even makes it to the 2011 holiday season. I'm certain it will thankfully. This new entry promises a new design philosophy. Perhaps dungeons will be replaced altogether. Who knows? The E3 demo showed a vibrant cel-shaded approach to the visuals, incredible new items, and battles against foes new and old. Without a doubt, I am most excited for this gem in a currently otherwise bleak 2011 Wii lineup.

===

That's enough from me, though. What are your top ten most anticipated games of 2011? Let me know in the comments sections, as always!

4 comments:

Michael Janssen-Gibson said...

i have a big wood for (finally) getting my hands on the last guardian and ico when they release the ps3 HD pack - woohooo!

Unknown said...

Oh, my...

Anonymous said...

You are wrong again, Dead Space 2 and Portal 2 are on pc too and Valve games are better to get them on PC or in this case on PS3 for the addition content. you will get portal 2 on pc and mac.

Unknown said...

I do not cover PC gaming on this blog, so that is why I don't mention it. It's not out of ignorance, I assure you.